Steyr En-Bloc Clip Markings

These are notes I've made regarding the markings found on the en-bloc clips used for the Steyr M90 & M95, with the assistance of The Hebrew Hammer, Procrastinator43, 1886Lebel, Rapidrob, & other members at the Surplus Rifle Forums, Doc AV, Nick, Enfield56, Valo62 & other members at Parallax Bill's Curio & Relic Forum, Nick, Doc AV, Enfield56, KH, Alb87, jaz5833, Valo62, AndyB, Jerry in MI, Tplan, HillgerRomak84 and other members at Gunboards.com, Valo62 and other members at Yesterday's Weapons M95 forum, treshkin, pbutler, JohnMoss, enfield56, dutch, JPeelen, JJE, UFOandUSOxwd and other members at International Ammunition Association-Collector's Forum, and aorta10 at the World War Forum.

Their assistance is greatly appreciated!

All images copyright by their respective owners and used with permission. This page copyright by Zeliard.

Email Zeliard: steyrclips at protonmail.com


CLICK ON AN IMAGE TO SEE A LARGER VERSION OF IT.

8mm Mannlicher En-Bloc Clip Quick Identification
Below are the three basic clip styles used by 8x50R & 8x56R Mannlicher rifles. While there are variations,only those that help positively identify a manufacturer are used for this list.

enfield56

Search for markings by letter.


Click on a letter or section to go right to it.



A C G H J K L M P R S W X Z
Symbols and Hanzi (Chinese Characters)
Unknown Manufacturers
Unmarked             

                                                             Known Markings & Manufacturers                                                                  

Marking Manufacturer Notes
A over C Sofia Artillery Arsenal. Sofia, Bulgaria. Previously listed as C over A, it's actually an A over C as it stands for Арсенал София (Arsenal Sofia).
enfield56 jerry in MI nick
Marking Manufacturer Notes
A over H Hirtenberger Patronenfabrik. Hirtenberg, Austria. Acquired by Germany after the 1938 Anschluss.

Clips were stamped to make it look like they'd been produced by Állami Hadianyaggyár (See A over H with Accent) during inter-war period.

See Eagle and Swastika and AM40.


kh
Marking Manufacturer Notes
A over H with Accent Állami Hadianyaggyár (state military supply factory).Csepel, Budapest, Hungary
Originally the Weiss Manfréd Acél-és Fémmüvek (Manfréd Weiss Steel and Metal Works (A.K.A. Csepel Müvek (Csepel Works)) which produced ammunition from 1892 until approximately 1920 when the ammunition plant was sold to the state.

See W for more information.
jaz5833 rapidrob jerry in mi
Marking Manufacturer Notes
AM Gustloff-Werke, Otto Eberhardt-Patronenfabrik. Hirtenberg, Austria. Formerly Hirtenberger Patronen Züundhütchen& Metallwarenfabrik A.-G.
AM was the German ordnance code for this factory.

The 40 stands for 1940. Supposedly clips marked with 41 exist as well.

enfield56 valo62
Marking Manufacturer Notes
AZF Artillerie Zeugs Fabrik (Artillery Arsenal Factory). Vienna, Austria. 1885-1902. Production moved to Woellersdorf. See MF..
enfield56 kh enfield56
Marking Manufacturer Notes
C inside circle Cornides & Cie.(Company),St. Veit and der Triesting, Büro Wien I, Akademiestr, Austria
In business for approximately 25 years, ceased production in 1893 after which it became part of Berndorfer Metallwarenfabrik.



Marking Manufacturer Notes
GR or GR inside circle Georg Roth, Vienna, Austria. Company started production in 1866. Plants in Vienna, Preßburg (Bratislava) and Lichtenwörth. Company ceased production in 1928 and plants taken over by other concerns.

See JR, M inside circle & Z markings for more information.
alb87 alb87 enfield56

jaz5833 jerry in MI jerry in MI



kh rapidrob
Marking Manufacturer Notes
H inside oval or circle Hirtenberger Patronenfabrik. Austria. Formerly Serafin Keller Company, then Keller & Company then Hirtenberger.

See KC inside circle for more information


alb87 kh kh
Marking Manufacturer Notes
JR Juraj Roth. Bratislava (German: Pressburg),Czechoslovakia. Juraj Roth is the Slovakian spelling of Georg Roth (sometimes spelled as Jiri). Headstamps and markings from this plant changed from GR to JR in 1922.

Renamed to Ceskoslovenske Municne a Kovorobne Zavody (Czech Munitions and Engineering Company) in 1928. 

See M inside circle & Z markings for more information.


andyB
Marking Manufacturer Notes
KC inside circle Keller & Co. Hirtenberg, Austria. Formerly the Serafin Keller company (headstamp SK). Changed names in September 1887 to Hirtenberger Cartridge, Primer and Metalware - Keller & Company after being sold to Ludwig Mandl. On January 1, 1897 became Hirtenberger Cartridge, Primer and Metalware Stock Company. 
kh nick enfield56


rapidrob
Marking Manufacturer Notes
L inside circle Ludwig Loewe & Company, Berlin, Germany. Uses the Deutsche Metallpatronenfabrik Lorenz headstamp. Lorenz was purchased by Lowe in 1889 and became DM-Karlsruhe. In 1896 Loewe merged it's factories and concerns to form Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken Aktien-Gesellschaft (DWM).


hillgerromak84
Marking Manufacturer Notes
LP inside circle La Precisa. Naples & Teano, Italy.
La Precisa means "The Precise". Often associated with companies in Italy that were involved with some sort of precision work, typically metalworking.

The headquarters of this company was located in Naples, with a munitions factory at Teano.

In the 1930s the Naples headquarters made kitchen utensils, small stamped metal parts and radios.

There was an explosion at the Teano  plant in 1964 that left 5 dead and 4 significantly injured.
kh tplan nick
Marking Manufacturer Notes
M.8 Hirtenberger Patronenfabrik. Austria. Made for export to Italy for captured rifles.


enfield56
Marking Manufacturer Notes
M and circle or M inside circle Československé Muniční a Kovodělné Závody a. s. (Czech Munitions and Engineering Company). Bratislava, Czechoslovakia. Formerly the Roth plant in Bratislava, Czechoslovakia. If the M is inside of the circle it was made prior to 1931. If the circle starts at end of the legs of the M it was made after 1931.

In 1934 it was bought by BRNO, moved to Povazska Bystrica and renamed Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka , Brno, plant II, Povazska Bystrica. German military code DOU (Waffenwerke Bruenn AG, Werk Bystrica).

See Z marking for more information.



Marking Manufacturer Notes
MF Staats-Munitions Fabrik (State Munitions Factory) Wöllersdorf. Near Wiener Neustadt in Wöllersdorf, Austria. A.K.A. Munitionsfabrik Wöllersdorf Took over ammunition production from AZF in 1902. Manufactured military ammunition until 1918. Ceased manufacturing entirely in 1925.

kh doug_strong
Marking Manufacturer Notes
ML or ML inside shield Magyar Löszermüvek RT (Hungarian Ammunition Factory, Ltd.). Veszprem, Hungary. Started producing ammunition in September of 1939. Near the end of WWII the Germans moved the equipment to Lenzing, Kreis Vöcklabruck in Austria.

Started up again in 1951 under the name Bakony Müvek (Bakony Works) and used the factory code 21 headstamp (and V9 for 5.56mm NATO ammo) until 1989.

Also made switches, electrical components and auto parts until it closed in 2010.
enfield56 kh jerry in MI


jaz5833
Marking Manufacturer Notes
P inside circle Hirtenberger Patronenfabrik. Hirtenberg,  Austria. Used during the inter-war period to stand for Patronenfabrik Hirtenberg. This just happened to coincide with restrictions placed upon the company by the allied forces. 


enfield56
Marking Manufacturer Notes
PA or PA inside circle or PA Pirotehnia Armatei (Army Pyrotechnical Factory). Cotroceni District, Bucharest, Romania.  Formerly reported as being from the Dumitra (Punitra) Voina plant in Brasov, Romania.

The factory was run by the Societate Anonim Romana (Anonymous Romanian Society, which roughly means Incorporated).

Pirotehnia is the newer spelling of Pirotechnia. Unsure when it changed.



Marking Manufacturer Notes
PK inside circle Zaklady Amunicyjne "Pocisk" Spolka Akcyjna (Ammunition Factory "Bullets" Joint Stock Company). Minksa (Mińska) Street, Warsaw, Poland. French & Polish-French Joint Stock Company created in 1919. Cartridge plant was in Warsaw, other munitions were produced in Rembertow (Rembertów).

Nationalized by Poland in 1932, production of small arms ammunition was consolidated with the Rembertow plant. Ceased operations on September 28, 1939.



Marking Manufacturer Notes
PM Polte, Werke Magdeburg. Magdeburg, Germany. Started manufacturing ammunition in 1889. Taken over by the Soviets in July, 1945 and most of the machinery was removed.


kh
Marking Manufacturer Notes
R inside oval Georg Roth. Exact plant location unknown.



Marking Manufacturer Notes
RB Cartoucherie Russo-Belge. Liége, Belgium Operated from 1890 to 1920 when it became part of Fabrique Nationale.



Marking Manufacturer Notes
RM Rheinische Metallwaren-und Maschinenfabrik. Soemmerda, Germany. These clips have been found with what looks to be Roman numerals on them. What they indicate is unknown.


kh kh tplan



rapidrob
Marking Manufacturer Notes
SB or SB inside circle Sellier & Bellot. Prague, Czechoslovakia. Also had plants in Vlasim and Schoenebeck/Elbe.

enfield56 enfield56
Marking Manufacturer Notes
SF inside shield or SF inside circle Société Française des Munitions, (Gévelot S. A.). Place Jules Gévelot, 92310 Issy-Les-Moulineaux, France. Absorbed into the Nationalised French Ordnance combine GIAT (Groupe Industriel Armaments du Terre---Industrial Group for Land Armaments) in the 1970s. Made under contract to Bulgaria (1903-1904) & possibly to Italy for captured weaponry during WWI.
enfield56 enfield56 kh
Marking Manufacturer Notes
W or italicized W or W inside circle Manfréd Weiss Steel and Metal Works (Weiss Manfréd Acél- és Fémmüvek). Csepel, Budapest, Hungary. A.K.A. Csepel Müvek (Csepel Works)).

Produced ammunition from 1892 until approximately 1920 when the plant was sold to the state and became Állami Hadianyaggyár (state military supply factory).
alb87 kh jerry in MI
jerry in MI jerry in MI rapidrob
Marking Manufacturer Notes
X inside circle Frister & Rossmann. Berlin, Germany Previously thought to be a misstruck H, now known to be a unique marking. Started in 1864 & famous for their sewing machines. Also made bayonets during WWI. Company sold in 1925 but sewing machines still bear the F&R name today.

kh kh
Marking Manufacturer Notes
Z Zbrojovka Brno. Považská Bystrica, Czechoslovakia. Formerly the Juraj (Georg) Roth plant in Bratislava, Czechoslovakia, it was moved to Považská Bystrica after being bought by BRNO in 1934.

No longer affiliated with Zbrojovka after 1946 it became the state run factory Povazske Strojarne in Považská Bystrica, Czechoslovakia.

Changed names several times and split into 3 companies, one of which (KINEX GRAND a.s., Bytča) is still in business today.




                                                             Symbols and Hanzi (Chinese Characters)                                                    

Marking Manufacturer Notes
| Gewehr und Munitionsfabrik. Spandau, Germany. Opened in 1733 as a branch of the Prussian State Arsenal in Potsdam.

Manufactured Gewehr 88 & 98 rifles and MG 08 machine guns.

Closed in 1918 after World War I ended.


enfield56
Marking Manufacturer Notes
Austrian single-headed eagle Georg Roth -  Lichtenwörth Staatsfabrik, Austria.

Staatsfabrik Patronenfabrik Lichtenwörth AG, Austria.
Austrian First Republic symbol.

Used by Georg Roth's Lichtenwörth State Factory from 1926-1928. After Roth the factory became Patronenfabrik Lichtenwörth AG, a State Factory, from 1928-1933. Hirtenberger Patronenfabrik purchased the factory in 1933.

See Austrian Double Headed Eagle.

pbutler pbutler
Marking Manufacturer Notes
Austrian double-headed eagle Hirtenberger Patronen Züundhütchen & Metallwarenfabrik AG, Hirtenberg, Austria.

A.K.A. Staatsfabrik Hirtenberger Patronenfabrik, Hirtenberg
Federal State of Austria symbol from '34-38.

Official State Factory after buying out Patronenfabrik Lichtenwörth AG.

 PButler's images are not of brass clips, but rather lacquer coated steel.

See Austrian single-headed eagle.
alb87 kh jaz5833



jerry in MI pbutler pbutler



rapidrob
Marking Manufacturer Notes
Eagle and swastika Gustloff-Werke, Otto Eberhardt-Patronenfabrik. Hirtenberg, Austria. Formerly Hirtenberger Patronen Züundhütchen& Metallwarenfabrik A.G. until 1938 when taken over by Gustloff-Werke after the Anschluss.

See AM for more information.
alb87 alb87 jaz5833
jerry in MI rapidrob ufoandusoxwd
Marking Manufacturer Notes
局申 Ju Shen (Jú shēn) Jiangnan (Kiangnan) Arsenal, Shanghai, China. Founded in 1865 as the General Bureau of Machine Manufacture of Jiangnan. A.K.A. Jiagnan Machine Works. 

Kiangnan was the romanized spelling used until the 1980s. Ceased producing armaments in 1937. The Jiangnan Arsenal also operated a shipyard which is still in business today as the Jiangnan Shipbuilding Factory.


ufoandusoxwd ufoandusoxwd

                                                             Known Markings, Unknown Manufacturers                                                    

Marking Notes
GH inside circle Unknown. Previously thought to possibly be Geo. Hopkins & Co., but this has been disproved. Could still be from an unknown subcontractor for Kynoch, possibly the pen-nib maker, George W. Hughes, but that's just speculation. This same marking has also shown up on clips for the 1893 Romanian Mannlicher.


enfield56

                                                                              Unmarked                                                                                      

Notes
Brass, standard ribbing

Made by Pirotecnico di Bologna, Italy.

Produced cartridges from 1880-1944.
enfield56 aorta10 aorta10
Notes
Blued with vertical ribbing.
Societá Metallurgica Italiana (SMI).

There were 2 different factories: Fornaci di Barga (Lucca), part of the Orlando group, formed in 1915 and Campo Tizzoro (Pistoia) in 1910. Campo Tizzoro used the headstamp CT but in the early days this marking was often omitted. SMI changed its name to KME Group, SpA in 2006 and manufactures industrial goods such as laminates and tubing.


enfield56 kh
Notes
Slab sided (no cutout), no ribbing.

Made in Russia for captured Mannlicher rifles from Austria-Hungary.

Clips made at various plants, including the Gruszka (Grushka) metal factory in Nakhchivan, Azerbaijan and the Saint Petersburg ammunition factory. Some are darker or lighter than others, depending on the manufacturer, but there is no way of telling which plant or factory made which clip.
   
treshkin enfield56 kh
Notes
Bare metal or blued, standard (slanted) ribbing.

For M.88 clips: bare metal. Made by either Artillerie Zeug Fabrik (see AZF) or Georg Roth (see GR).
For M.90 clips: blued. Various manufacturers, no way of telling exactly who made it.    



Notes
Brass, no ribbing.

Possibly made by the Jiangnan (later Shanghai) Arsenal.

These may be for the Kuaili M1888 rifle in 7.62x55R, but could just as well be for 8x50R cartridges so including them here.
   
The clips in ufoandusoxwd's images had been recently excavated but not cleaned so that's why they look like steel clips.

ufoandusoxwd ufoandusoxwd